Digital Exhibit Building Symposium
Wednesday, September 14, 2016
Sponsored by the Institute of Library and Museum Services
Please join the UC Santa Cruz University Library to explore the potential for building digital exhibits and using online tools for digital storytelling. This day long symposium will consider the value of curating digital exhibits, communicating with online audiences, and implementing new digital assignments in the classroom. We will also offer hands on workshops that can help you get started. By reorienting the conversation around digital exhibit building away from specific platforms, we will explore the process of building research projects online from inspiration and incubation to sustainability and preservation.
This event is targeted at researchers, librarians, archivists, instructors, IT professionals and Digital Humanists from across the UC system and beyond. The event is open to all interested and will be especially of interest to those working in Omeka or Scalar as well as those frustrated by platform limitations who want to think beyond the tools of digital curation.
9:00-9:30 am | Digital Scholarship Commons, Ground Floor of McHenry Library
Light Breakfast and Informal Tours of the Digital Scholarship Commons
9:45-10:00 am | Room 4286 McHenry
Welcome from University Librarian M. Elizabeth Cowell
10:00-11:00 am | Room 4286 McHenry
Panel 1: "Why Build Digital Exhibits?"
Moderator: Elisabeth Remak-Honnef
- Francesco Spagnolo, "Archiving The Invisible: Museum Exhibitions and the Digital Effect" (@spagnoloacht)
- John Weber, “More Than You Can Say, and More Than You Can See”
- Dustin Wright, “Why A Traveling Exhibition Project Is Going Digital” (@wright_dustin)
11:15-12:15 | Room 4286 McHenry
Panel 2: “Digital Storytelling: Beyond the Platform”
Moderator: Kate Dundon
- Sylvanna Falcón, "Visualizing Human Rights Stories" (@profe_falcon)
- Mary Thomas, “We Want the Airwaves: Visual Literacy and Podcasting” (@MaryTLikesArt)
- Danielle Crawford, Alex Moore, Christine Turk, "Beyond Captions: Building a Digital Exhibit in Scalar"
12:15 - 1:00pm | Lunch provided for all registered attendees
Synchronous Workshops (attendees please choose one:)
- Building in Omeka, Jess Waggoner | Learn more about building in Omeka ➚
- Using Scalar to Publish Online, Curtis Fletcher | Explore Scalar here ➚
- The Lifecycle of a Digital Project, Sue Perry and Ann Hubble | Materials available online ➚
2:30-2:45 pm | Coffee Break
3:00-4:00 pm | 4286 McHenry
Susana Ruiz (Film & Digital Media), "Crafting Creative Intersections Between Social Justice, Nonfiction Storytelling and Gameful Design"